Wednesday 19 March 2014

Hobcarton End - The last North Western

Back in 2010 when I discovered 'hill bagging' I came across the  Hewitts, Nuttals & the Birketts previously unheard of! I'd already completed the Wainwrights and ticked off a few in hills in Scotland & Wales but had kept no record. I originally started arm chair bagging my way througth the various lists, but soon decided it would be better to begin again at the start with blank lists. Currently in Cumbria I'm ticking off the Birketts & Wainwright Outlyers but throughout the Lakes I have the odd straggler. Today's target was one of those pesky ones - the last in the NW area.

I started slightly further away from the usualy car park - for two reasons get my legs warmed up for the steep climb & to avoid the Forestry Comission car park charges...



the route leaves the forest track...

and exits onto the steep fellside...

navigation isn't a problem, even in mist...

height is quickly gained despite being buffeted by the wind...

last pull...

Grisedale Pike's summit, note the unusual trig block...

at least this time I'm 'just' below the clouds...

descent route to Hobcarton End, walking was starting to get diffficult as the wind picked up...

standing & taking a photo was starting also get difficult!!!

and virtually inpossible at Hobcarton End, one of several cairns, Grisedale PIke now obscurred by cloud...

lone decorated tree...

the path avoids the steep descent to the pass and heads back through the trees...

Grisedale Pike clear again but still windy!!!

the left fork is the descent track from Hobcarton End...

2 comments:

  1. I just love the 'Christmas Tree' on Grisedale Pike - it's been a few years now hasn't it - what a great idea. I never manage to get any good photos of it though... I remember the first time it loomed out of the mist at me and I nearly died laughing!

    Didn't you find the descent down Hobcarton End horribly eroded now with it becoming a mountain bikers' route? Instead of the 'steps' down the eroded gully, it's now just a slippery, smooth gully :-(
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can remember seeing the decorated tree on one of your reports a few years ago? The baubles where doing a great job holding on to the tree as standing upright was difficult!

    Despite the recent rains the wind had blasted the little outcrop dry so it wasn't too slippy but a lot more eroded then I remember it being.

    Thanks SImon

    ReplyDelete