Tuesday 25 February 2014

Green Lowther & Moon Base Alpha

Jan 2011

This is was the first Scottish walk of 2011, accompanied by the kids & dog. A visit to Green Lowther & the NATS radar station which resembled moon base alpha from a '60s sci fi movie. Remaining patches of snow turned this into more of a snow ball fight then a walk - so it took a lot longer then anticipated!

Leaving Wanlockhead on the Southern Upland Way...



the masts on Green Lowther com into view...

White Dod...

access road...

Radome & mast on Lowther Hill...

cloud along the A76 & River Nith...

& down to Thornhill...

Radome on Lowther Hill...

looking to Green Lowther...

& back to Lowther Hill...

buildings & antenna..

moon base...

more antennas...

Green Lowther's trig...

Lowther Hill...

the trig is dwarfed by its neighbour...

retracing our steps...

derelict cat...

2 comments:

  1. LOL to the huge mast and tiny trig point - actually, there's a scene like that above Ireby which I recently visited - I've started walking up that hill with the mast (and the cows) :-)

    I think I'd like Green Lowther as I like military-type installations - I find them really interesting and not at all an eyesore. Still haven't managed to get to Great Dun Fell yet!
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to the top but I can recommend your little hill as a winter sledging destination - its cow free then too ;)

    Coincidentally I've suggested Great Dun Fell as a mountain bike route for next week, but the consensus is to stay in the Lakes :-(

    ReplyDelete