Saturday 26 April 2014

Crinan & Kilmartin Glen - A wander through history

The Crinan Canal is one of my favourite places, despite the tourist (I'm one!) hustle & bustle it is still a peaceful place. As the sun finally showed itself a wander up the Kilmartin Glen to grab photos of some of the ancient monuments, I've visited them before on a grey drab drizzly day.

Duke of Normandy II & VIC32...



Saltaire...

Scarba can be seen on the horizon...

early morning reflections...

a newt tries its best to blend in...

Achnabreck Rock Art...



Jura in the distance from the top of Dunadd fort...

entrance to the royal fortress...

Nether Largie stones...



Nether Largie South Cairn...


Nether Largie Mid Cairn...

Inside the reconstructed North Cairn...

Nether Largie North Cairn...

Glebe Cairn...

Temple Wood Stone Circles...




Carnasserie Castle...








3 comments:

  1. That was one of my parents' favourite areas - especially Kilmartin Glen. I will have been there with them but can't really remember it and have only really driven past since (such is the hurry of the out-and-out-Munro-bagger unfortunately!)
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've visited the Crinan Canal a few times but it was only my second visit to the standing stones. Its a shame to drive past them - I'm guilty of that too and I'm not exactly bagging Munros - at least it will be over soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's more when I'm driving somewhere I'm a bit like going for a Munro - the destination is all that matters and I refuse to stop for anything other than fuel. I bet Richard has a very numb bum sometimes - he even has to plead for me to stop the car so he can have a pee! I'm careful not to eat or drink if I'm driving a long way then I don't have to stop for myself at all.
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete