Friday 6 June 2014

Castle Rock of Triermain - The last Eastern

Back in 2010, when I came across a list Birkett summits, I initially engaged in a bit of armchair bagging as I crossed those off I'd already walked from the list. It didn't take long before I became tired of this task so, after scrumpling up my pencil marked list I started off with blank list of 541 Lakeland Fells as seen in the eyes of Bill Birkett.
   Now four years later I'm still 62 away from my target, in my defence I've had several periods where I've lost the will, a new Birkett top has not been bagged for months! Sometimes I don't have the drive to pick off a minor top that I know I've already walked - Castle Rock at the head of St John's falls into that category. Many a time on my journey's up & down Thirlmere I've been tempted to pull over but I've never summoned the energy. But forced off the higher tops by rain & lack of anything resembling a worthwhile view, a thick pencil line can be drawn through my last Birkett summit in the Eastern Fells. My remaining total now at the annoying 61, almost tempted me towards Eycott Hill on the way home - but heavy rain saved me from that fate!

The amiable side of Castle Rock from Legburthwaite...



the foot of Sticks Pass, not one of my favourite ascent routes...

Manchester Corporation grabs as much water as it can...

I followed the wall, my aim today is White Side over Brown Crag...

I usually take the pony track above the King's Head but last time I noticed this path on the North bank of Fisher Gill...

what I thought from the bottom was a gate, was just an extension of the fence over the deep gorge...

for some reason I never zoomed into this waterfall!!!

slightly further up another fine waterfall

at least I took more than one photo this time...

my crossing point where the fence crossed the stream, the small pool at the foot of this cascade was surprisingly deep...

the little used path up the South bank is served by this fine gate...

on the pony track to Brown Crag and the first drops of rain...

High Rigg from Brown Crag, Skiddaw starting to cloud up...

Helvellyn seems to be drawing a bit in too, at least White Side is clear...

but not by the time I reach the summit...

the summit of Raise also doesn't reward me with any views...

with signs of rain, I descend Sticks Pass, Brown Crag over Sticks Gill...

sheepfold as it begins to rain heavy...

a shower passes down St John's in the Vale...

it had eased off enough, and this path tended towards Castle Rock...

Air Shaft???

High Rigg from Castle Rock, the pause in rain had been short lived...

looking down St John's to where Blencathra should be...

Castle Rock from Mill Gill...

the 'less amiable' side...

back at the aquaduct...

water tank...




2 comments:

  1. The less amiable side looks quite nice and I always fancied climbing it but apparently it's loose and nasty :-( Still I'd need someone to lead it and don't have anyone to do that...
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, sorry for the delay in replying, was there not a rockfall there a while back? I haven't seen anyone climbing it recently - albeit the last few poor summers could be the reason!

    Cheers Simon

    ReplyDelete