Friday 18 October 2013

Wet, Wet, Wet Sleddale

This was the second walk of the day in an attempt to maximise summits/per car miles, don't say I don't do my bit for the environment. The original route was followed with the addition of Wasdale Pike as I had missed it off my Crookdale/Wasdale combo. As I'd never visited Wet Sleddale I was quite looking forward to this, but unnfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. I had originally intended to visit in the frozen depths of winter the 'Wet' in the name being a clue to what one might expect.

The route was wet, heathery, tussocky more or less throughout the only respite being on the easy return Bridleway. Again the sound of bellowing Stags drifted up from the valley floor, I disturbed a a small herd near Great Saddle Crag but they disappeared before the camera switched on. I also disturbed an owl hidden amongst the heather - I've never seen this before ?

Wet Sleddale Reservoir only completed in the 60's supplies Manchester via Haweswater...



the Lunch House...

Gray Bull, smaller than I imagined...

Sleddale Pike, I found the approach hell...

Wasdale Pike, doesn't look like the route is going to improve...

a bit drier on Wasdale Pike's top...

approaching Great Saddle Crag...

Great Saddle Crag summit cairn, not sure where the stones came from???

Great Saddle Crag, looking back, an unpleasant crossing...

Wet Sleddale from Ulthwaite Rigg, I've been here before and still couldn't find any redeeming features...

this was intact in 2010, obviously been blown about a bit since...

what it looked like on my last visit...

on the bridleway...

Wet Sleddale approaches...

Wet Sleddale Hall, aka Crow Crag in Withnail & I...

descending...

bridge over Sleddale Beck...

peculiar walling material!!!

back at the dam...

No comments:

Post a Comment